Monday, June 20, 2011

Tell me true...

Does this look OK?

It's a shirt I made years ago, using a Burda WOF pattern from June, 1996. I was enjoying looking through the magazine as the shift in fashion means the styles are not looking too outlandish.  If you keep something long enough, it becomes fashionable again.  

Anyhow, the shirt has deep side seam slits and I've always really liked it but at the tunic length it seems hard to wear it with lots of things.  So I made a pair of leggings.

Having worn tunics and leggings first time around, I'm wary of going out in public in these.

It's a comfortable and cool outfit, however.

From a sewing point of view, you can readily see the mistake I made when cutting - I very narrowly escaped the BULLS EYE effect.  I don't like it when there is an obvious doubling of a noticeable print element on either side of the CF, always off centre for some reason.  If I was doing this again, I'd probably cut the fronts single layer to avoid this.  The back worked out better.

The text probably says something inane...

22 comments:

  1. I think it looks great - not dated at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it. It is cute, flattering, and not at all dated. It makes me feel like the (similar) tunic I posted yesterday is a poor cousin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! It looks good with the leggings but it would look equally good with loose, flared, cropped pants, or a knee length straight skirt, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fine with the leggings. I'd like to see it with white linen capris or a straight skirt as well. Perhaps you've already tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I can see it as a top over "jeggings" as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd team it with some nice white linen pants, with a flared hemline. I don't think the black on black is a very summery look and doesn't lift the interesting design of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks lovely!
    The black leggings are lovely, but so too would white skinny jeans.
    You should wear it more often :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I am not a fan of the front split with the leggings /; The top is very wearable but i would prefer to see it with a less revealing bottom - jeans, capris etc. (Hey, you asked...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you kidding? YOU could go out in public in these, I could not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can definitely wear that in public. It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get out there woman -you look sharp, fresh and cute as heck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hell yeah it looks okay. Actually I think it looks a whole lot better than okay, it looks great. You should definitely wear this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks great I love the pattern on the tunic you look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. あなたはとても素敵に見える
    (You look very nice)!!
    Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK? I think it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great on you. By all means, wear it in public.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess I'm going to have to be the voice of dissent. As you pointed out, there is very nearly a bulls eye effect. Plus, with those characters going across your middle and across the hem, and the tunic length, your body gets cut, visually, in a less than flattering way. I'm not a fan. You could wear it, but you have other items that are much more flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the tunic and agree with willamettestar on this one. Not a fan of short leggings and they way they cut in the middle of the calf. Also, not a fan of leggings on anyone over the age of 15. I'd say black tights with flats if your tunic were longer; something about how a person's butt shows when sitting down or bending. Sorry if I sound snarky as I don't mean to be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the tunic, especially the cool print. Perhaps a longer, skinny pant would work as well to update the look.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Très jolie tunique Kay. De grâce, ne te préoccupe pas du motif. Tout est parfait selon moi !

    ReplyDelete