Monday, March 2, 2020

Just for the record

Utilitarian sewing is also good, once in a while.

I made a new Jalie racer back swimsuit to replace my last one, which was new in November, 2016. Wow, it lasted a really long time (swimming lengths twice a week almost every week). It was, however, really past its best before date given that the lining  and much of the topstitching had rotted out. This proves to me that not all synthetics are equally indestructible. The lining was nylon and so was the woolly nylon that I had inadvisably used for the looper thread in my coverstitch machine.

For the fabric of my new suit I got my hands on some more 100% poly fabric, but it's only available to me in solid colours. So colour blocking was the way to build interest in this suit.

The lining might not be nylon, and I ditched the woolly nylon for poly thread so this ought to last quite a few years.

5 comments:

  1. I like your color blocking. You look great in your suit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very flattering and It looks comfortable for swimming laps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, looks ace and kudos for getting the exercise in 2 times a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I'd have the courage to make a bathing suit. The fabric seems so tricky. Yours looks really good.

    I'm trying to get crafters and sewers to make medical masks for their local hospitals, medical personnel, and first responders. They're on the frontline of the Covid-19 fight and I just want to do something to help.

    If you don't mind passing this link along, I'd appreciate it: https://changesblog.blogspot.com/2020/03/a-call-to-sewers-and-crafters-what-can.html

    Thank you and thank you for your great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out beautifully. I love your choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete