Monday, March 3, 2014

Proud as a peacock?

The Sewing Lawyer cannot resist making a (bad) pun considering that her latest sewing creation is made from fabric featuring a peacock feather motif.  I think it may be Liberty, it's certainly a beautiful lightweight wool.  My husband, the intrepid thrifter, found it for me for a song.  I had enough, carefully avoiding the moth holes, to cut out this BurdaStyle shirt pattern.

Voila.  My version (sans umbrella).

I think it looks OK with my recently-completed tweed skirt.  This is another view from the versatile 1990s Vogue Basic skirt pattern (#1762) that I also used for my white linen summer skirt.  The tweed is left over from my Donegal tweed cape project.  Including the lining, although using the leftover scraps necessitated some creative cutting!

Anyhow, the shirt.  I made this up in the smallest available size (36), and the fit is tolerable although slightly loose.  I took the side seams in a bit.  It looks bigger/looser from the back.

I didn't have enough fabric to actually match the pattern across the front, but it is mirrored, more or less.

Hmmm - what else to say?

If you noticed that the bottom button looks different, give yourself a pat on the back.  I chose small metal domed buttons with a shank, but picked a flat button for the lowest position so it would be less visible when I tuck the shirt in.

The sleeves are finished with a tiny little band.  It's about 1cm wide.  Burda thought I could sew a buttonhole in that.  Hah!  I made a thread loop instead.  Much easier!  (See klutzy video how-to here.)

Next appearing on this blog will be my just-completed Ratana cardigan. But it's still damp from its washing/blocking.


22 comments:

  1. Lovely job. The offset collar is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it looks "okay" with it, but rather looks as if it were purchased and made specifically to pair with the skirt! What a find! As always, your garment construction is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two thumbs up and even my big toes are up !!! What a magnificient piece of clothing !!! Is this a fabric DH found ? Woaw !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your husband did an excellent job finding this fabric. I may have to start looking at thrift stores myself. I was just surprised once when I saw fabric and yarn that I had donated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Your husband is a finding genius. And it looks great made up (even without the umbrella, which I think was a good decision). Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pretty.

    Did you worry about importing moths into your stash? What precautions did you take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moths were long gone. But I wash the fabric when I get it. Wool washes beautifully.

      Delete
  7. Great outfit. I would never have thought to have a flat button at the bottom. Clever thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. I think the back drapes beautifully. Very nice work on both pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pattern, but the fabric is so beautifull.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Resurrection Blouse! It's wonderful and the fabric is perfect. A perfect fit, literally and stylistically. A lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! It fits really nicely. You definitely don't notice that the front isn't exactly lined up- it looks great as it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful in every detail!I especially love the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blouse is beautiful and thanks for the video tip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Both the fabric and the style. Such a nice combination, and I used to do the flat button on the bottom thing when I was tucking in blouses. Do you remember Palmer/Pletsch told us to just pink or overcast the hem edge on blouses that would always be tucked in too, to get a flatter edge? I have a couple that are still around.... No, I never throw anything away. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great fabric! Kudos to your husband for the find. Great job also on getting the largish print to look lovely on the garment. It is so easy to have "Pattern Placement Disasters" with large motif prints. Your outfit looks professionally made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just gorgeous. Love peacock fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It may be a fake, but it really looks like a Liberty. This is one of the original fabrics that date back to the Aesthetic movement and its obsession with peacocks.. Think Oscar Wilde :-).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks lovely! I'm pretty sure I've seen that print from Liberty rereleased on cotton. If you search Liberty Art Fabrics you may find it. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous, especially as a foil to the businesslike tweed skirt. I have a peacock print blouse that is my complimented garment - I expect that you'll be receiving the same every time you wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything is so beautiful and wonderfully made!

    ReplyDelete