Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Sewing sorbet


A knit top is so quickly made and so hard to mess up that it works as a sort of sewing sorbet - a palate cleanser after or between more difficult projects.

I had extracted this thin drapey knit (poly-lycra I think) from stash because I liked the colours, which coordinate with my teal skirt and also somewhat surprisingly well with my striped cardigan.

The print is nevertheless kind of dark, so I suppose I am continuing with my seasonally backward-looking sewing here. It'll have to end soon as it's quite hot today.

This is a version of Jalie 2449, which I see is out of print. It seems to date from 2004.

I would have made 2804 again, but I didn't want a horizontal seam on the front, which turns out to look kind of awful just above the top of my high-waisted skirt.

I've made 2449 twice before - once from a beefy cotton-lycra and once from one of those disappointing rayon knits. The cotton version (which I am still wearing after many, many years) is pretty snug. The rayon version, which didn't last, became quite loose after it had been washed a few times. I actually preferred the fit as the fabric deteriorated. It didn't reveal all the bumps of my body and undergarments.

So, as I did when making 2804, I cut this top out outside the lines, adding about 1cm to the vertical seams and leaving the waist area, in particular, less fitted than the pattern.

Original try - ca. 2006
I wasn't sure how the looser fit would work with the neckbands. On my cotton-lycra version (at left), I have to pin the layers together at that cross-over point to avoid revealing any more of my person than intended. Further, the snug fit leads to all sorts of pulling.

It turns out that the top works much better if it's not so snug on the body. The bands are cut with quite a bit of negative ease so the fronts are eased into them and this holds them against the body while the looser fit means that movement doesn't cause the fronts to spread apart.

Another one for my wardrobe. Next, I shall get back to my knitting machine. I am inspired to try something called drive lace. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I love the look of your top! Looking forward to seeing your drive lace. I also have a knitting machine, and look forward to trying new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that pattern but have ot made it in years, maybe this is the envouragement to get it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the third time I try to write a comment. The two other time before, I lost my comment in the cyberspace. hi hi. I remember, we bought it together. This is indeed a fluid and very soft knit. I like the final result of your top. Good choice of pattern. Humm what should I do with mine? Thank you for reminding me about that knit

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny that you call some projects palate cleansers. I do too. I usually put little things in between big projects so that I can feel like I accomplished something!

    ReplyDelete