I made exactly one sweater on it before putting it away for about 25 years. In the younger Sewing Lawyer's usual fashion, the sweater was (a) without any instruction on the use of the knitting machine and (b) multi-coloured. This machine, my friends, is completely and utterly manual. I can hardly believe I did it.
Behold. (Yes, it's rather loud.) I made it from many colours of Regia sock yarn.
Some years later, I found another only slightly less elderly knitting machine at a yard sale. I forget how much I paid but it wasn't more than $20.
Into the closet it went with KNITKING. Until something prompted me to get them both out a few weeks ago.
Here I was on Friday night with my "newer" knitting machine, a Studio SK-303. It's only slightly less manual - it has knobs that select certain needles.
I managed to turn out a credible sample by going through the manual. I now have plans to make a much plainer lightweight merino sweater for my husband. Stay tuned.
In the meantime, I finished my hand-knit project.
It's a very luxurious blend of baby llama and mulberry silk. The pattern is Windswept and all details are on Ravelry. It was a pretty fun knit, all things considered. Since it is made top down I was able to weigh how much yarn was left after I had completed the body, so as to confidently make the sleeves as long as possible. I got to 8", which isn't too bad, even using most of my unravelled swatch.
Too bad I'll have to pack it away until fall - it's a bit woolly for summer.