Monday, May 16, 2011

Two dresses

Just like I said, I made two dresses - in tandem, from the same pattern, McCalls 5974.  Luckily, I could use navy blue thread for both.  If I had really tried I could probably have finished them in a day.  I took my time and finished them on a rainy weekend, between household chores.

Without further ado, here's version 1 (view B, but with 3/4 length sleeves).  This is my Chicago rayon-lycra jersey.  It's very soft.

The front has an inset midriff band, the bottom edge of which is slightly above the waist.  The bodice and skirt are each pleated into the band.  There isn't too much bulk.

The back, however, is totally plain.  I think I would like the back view better with the midriff band.  If I was going to make this again (I probably won't) I'd consider modifying the back.  Coffin clothes.  Harumph.

I can't complain about the fit.  I cut a straight size 10.  Palmer & Pletsch wrote all kinds of detailed instructions for fitting this pattern but really?  It's a knit dress.  Knits are pretty forgiving.  I liked the side seam insurance they built into the pattern, however - 1" side seam allowances.  I dutifully basted and tried it on - then sewed the seams permanently exactly as drafted.

BTW I used my sewing machine to do the construction.  I like using a tiny (1.5mm x 1.5mm) zig zag stitch.  The seams press open nice and flat, and there is a lot of built in stretch.  I used my cover hem stitch on my serger to finish the neck, using that great Jalie no-elastic self-fabric binding technique.  Here's a close up view of the scoop neck.  It adds just the right amount of stability to the neckline.  I cut the binding 85% of the length of the neck edge; with this soft fabric I could have cinched it in some more, but it's ok as is.

And here is View C which I prefer.  The waist ties give it more interest, and cover up the plain back.

The front midriff band is completely hidden by the ties, which are constructed in a strange way.  Here I am before wrapping...  Those ties are long enough to go around twice.

The tie is a long tapered piece sewn in the side seams single-layer, but then folded over on itself to create a finished tie.

I haven't decided which one to wear first, but I'll have to wait.  It's way too cold this week for little knit dresses!

26 comments:

  1. These are lovely. Thanks for the review, I have View C on my cutting board at the moment, so its great to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous new dresses! And one prettier than the other! You are going to look amazing at work when you finally wear these out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabric choices are lovely, I especially like the first. I think I'll have to try this pattern now - it's always nice to sew up an easy win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're both lovely but I agree with you on the first dress. The band should go all the way round. It's not like it's difficult to have a band in back as well. I'm definitely going to have to put this pattern on the short list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dresses and the fit is perfect. Agree about the band on the first dress and your comment made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just ordered this pattern and really like both your version. I do agree that the first is somewhat plain. Have you considered using the ties on the scoop neck version?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dresses! I hope your weather improves soon so you can wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both Kay. I disagree that the first one is too plain. Throw a jacket on top and you have a smart outfit!
    Did you get any of the rain we received? Our rain gauge says 4 inches and counting. And 6 degrees- ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both of these, Kay. The first one is NOT too plain-sweater or jacket and some shiny jewelry---->beautiful.

    I really like #2 with it's large print and wrap ties. It's perfect for your figure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for highlighting this pattern. Both dresses look fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're gorgeous and fit beautifully!!
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both gorgeous! Funny - Coffin back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them both, very nice fit. They were draft for you. really a great pattern. Wonderful again ! Bravo madame !

    ReplyDelete
  14. They both look awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both beautiful, but there is something I like about the first one in particular. The fit is just perfect and the pattern makes the overall look tall and slim - very flattering. If the back was broken up with a band, you wouldn't get that nice long line.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are both really really smart - the fabric choices are pretty and it is a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like both dresses, and I like the fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Throwing caution to the wind .... t'was a good wind as always because both styles are lovely. Coffin dress? Nope not really, I don't think. I do like the tie one better though cos, well, I just like ties.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These dresses look fantastic on you! ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. These dresses are lovely and I like the fabrics you used ^_^

    If you want to say "Hello" and/or follow my new blog!
    http://alicecloset-sewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are both gorgeous! Like you, I prefer view C, the waist tie is more interesting and gives a better shape. And that fabric is quite beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like them both but the first one I realllllly like.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your elegant black pump. Can I ask you what brand it is?

    ReplyDelete