Sunday, May 30, 2010

A potpourri

Like a potpourri, this is a mixed bag.  

First, I'm sorry for being absent - last weekend we were entertaining house guests and then Mother Nature decided that we should all be reminded what it is like to suffer through a heat wave (in May!!).  So not much sewing has been going on here in the Nation's Capital, and since this is a sewing blog, there hasn't been anything to blog about.

Second, I have now finished the woolly skirt to go with my woolly jacket which I could only model today because Mother Nature decided that today would be slightly overcast with more seasonable temperatures.  Needless to say, I won't actually be wearing it for months until Mrs. Nature returns us to the fridge.  (If any of you notice me tending to want to sew tailored wool suits next spring, could you pipe up to tell me I'm falling into that trap .... AGAIN??  It would be a great service to the Sewing Lawyer to be reminded that the seasons do change; she seems to forget annually.)


So here it is - the completed ensemble.  I am going to love wearing it!

The skirt is a reprise of the high-waisted skirt I made recently.  I am thrilled with how it looks and, more importantly, with how comfortable it is.  Remember I added an inner structure with 4 pieces of spiral steel boning?  I did it again and it is like magic, I tell you - the waistband is not tight but it doesn't flop down, ride up, twist around my waist, or do anything it is not supposed to do.  Totally secure, totally comfortable.  Boning rules!  The next time I run into this stuff, I'm stocking up.  

This one was made in identical fashion, but I used a sturdy muslin for the inner structure.  It is lighter and more flexible but will do the same job. 

So here's the skirt with high waist revealed (worn with my recently-completed Jalie lace T).

The wool fabric almost totally hides the princess seams in the skirt and waistband, and I like how the lower edge of the waistband is visible mainly as a change in texture. 

Last, in other sewing news, I'm working hard on my Kay Unger Dress (Vogue 1182).  I completed a muslin which was blissfully free of bad surprises (in other words, all the usual things had to be done, including taking 2 cm out of the front neck length).

I have purchased the most amazing silk dupioni for this dress which shall be revealed in the fullness of time.  So far, the dress is cut out and underlined with silk organza.  I'm going back to it now.

18 comments:

  1. Sorry, my English is more than terrible... :-)
    You look so beautifull! The essemble is fantastic! It fit you perfect, I love it so much !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! It looks very professional and that fabric is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented. This suit is stunning
    Thanks for mentionning the boning again I missed it the 1st time. I must read the post.
    I can't wait to see your dupioni fabic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning outfit. Perfect with that very special top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous work again! What a treat it will be to wear this in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last time I needed spiral boning, I got some at the G Street in Rockville. If you need/want more, try there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done! I like raised waistbands and I really am going to try boning it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you do such a wonderful job with your sewing. I too would be excited to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love every single iteration of that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an absolutely beautiful suit. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look your professional best in this suit. Love the total look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your suit-making ability is quite awesome. Love the quiet fabric and cut.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is definitely a beautiful suit! You did an amazing job on the fit and it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful Kay, and that return to the fridge will come quicker than you realize, and then you'll be ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's absolutely beautiful and you look stunning in it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That suit is SMOKING! You did a really, really,(I MEAN!!!) a really great job.

    ReplyDelete