Sometimes you just have to do what pops into your head, as long as it's legal and reasonably safe that is (the lawyer in me can't resist qualifying that statement...). So I made this T-shirt. The stretch lace was given to me by a friend and fellow-sewer here in the Nation's Capital, and the underlining was in the stash, the result of an earlier gift from another end of the country. The fold-over elastic (FOE) also came from stash. Oh, and I borrowed the pattern (from DIGS). So that makes this little T pretty much cost-free, and it didn't take much time either.
And it's a fabric miser. I might have had 70cm of this fabric. There is a bit left over.
Because the lace is sheer, I underlined the body pieces with a flesh-tone cotton lycra jersey. The sleeves are just the lace. The illusion is not bad. I hate worrying about whether my undies are showing, and the wind won't whistle through it either. So practical!
I finished the neck and sleeve edges with narrow FOE. This is so easy it is just ridiculous. I used a small zig-zag (1.5 x 2 mm). Applying a very small amount of tension to the FOE works best.
I traced size S, blending to T at the hip. I cut the neck down very slightly, and cut the sleeves shorter than the short sleeve line marked on the pattern (but longer than the cap sleeve line). I also cut the T shorter (used the size M hem line) because Jalie's Ts are always too long for me. I allowed myself 1.5cm at the side seams for fitting because Jalie's 7mm (1/4") gives no room for error at all. Because the fabric with underlining is a bit less stretchy than many knits, I needed the extra at the bust and hip.
Here is a close up of the lace fabric, with the hem turned up so you can also see the underlining.
I AM going to cut out my jacket now...
I hope I have enough fabric for a coordinating skirt...
48 minutes ago