I decided to try my adjusted pattern using some "junk fabric" before cutting into anything good, and part way in I decided I could really get to like it so should do it properly. After all, it's really only "junk" because of its provenance (thrift shop find). I might actually have bought it if I'd seen it in a fabric store (soft rayon, nice blues, acceptable floral print over an interesting herringbone weave).
I present to you - the properly-fitted Vogue 2770 vest-like top:
Now for some more details.
Also, the excess fabric at the front princess seam is a thing of the past.
The armscye was stabilized with a 3cm strip (cut to match the armscye curve using the pattern pieces) of fusible interfacing, as you can see in the next photo.
To finish the armscye, I cut strips of bias from the fashion fabric (6cm or 2 3/8" wide). These are folded in half lengthwise (wrong sides together), and then sewn to the armscye with cut edges aligned. After trimming the bias facing is pressed to the inside and topstitched down by machine. This is such a better finish than facing. (The pattern calls for a full lining which also finishes the armscye nicely, but I wasn't about to line this one.)
I used silk organza for the inside finish because it would add no bulk.
To the left is a view after the buttonholes were installed. I also tacked the edges together between buttonholes to prevent gapping.
2 hours ago