Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Finishing so I can start something else

I made another pair of shortie Carolyn PJs for myself. But this time I changed the collar to be a more straightforward sew. 

I don't love the fabric, which is a strangely flimsy cotton with this extremely large repeat. 

I obviously wouldn't wear it tucked in but I think the shorts are hilarious (random pattern "matching") and they would be covered up if I had laid them out differently. 

I redrafted the front to have a straight folded CF edge and copied the shape of a collar from a mens' shirt pattern I have been using for my husband's PJs, shortening it at CB so it fit into the adjusted neckline. 






The round collar and lapels of the Carolyn pattern, as drafted, were my least favourite part of this pattern. 

They were more complicated to sew than the shirt collar I now have, which works perfectly. 


Even though this is more or less a test sew, I used piping everywhere, including at the pocket edge in the shorts. 

Phew! With that out of the way (new summer PJs that I can't wear for months), I can turn to my next project.

I'm making the Dawn Jeans and I actually made a muslin to check fit! Haven't done that for years. 

Stay tuned.  


3 comments:

  1. These PJs are pretty”rad” :). Would you share which pattern you use for your husband? I am planning on making some for mine, but don’t have a good pattern. Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use an ancient McCalls pattern (#4115, circa 1989) for the top, and a slightly newer McCalls pattern (#3124, circa 2001) for the pants. However, I've modified both heavily over the years. So I don't think it is too much help to know these details. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither is an actual pajama pattern. 4115 has a jacket, pants, shorts and camp shirt. It can be viewed at https://www.ebay.com/itm/394570721984. 3124 has a shirt and loose drawstring pants and can be seen at https://millardsewing.com/product/mccalls-3124-2001-misses-mens-and-teen-boys-shirt-and-shorts/

      Delete