Sunday, August 6, 2017

I have also been machine knitting

You can look away if you're not a MK enthusiast.

I liked my fiery orange top quite a lot, and because it only took one spool, I was able to exchange the second one I had bought for another in a different colour. Behold my swimming pool blue top.

Even though it's the same yarn and the same stitch pattern, I changed things up by making it on a different machine - my Passap DM80 (the previous one was made on a Singer 360). I had to figure out all the tensions all over again, and I also made some design changes.

This one is knitted narrower and longer and it's a better fit. I ditched the short rows that shaped the shoulder area of the orange top. It's a subtle feature that isn't needed so badly with this very drapey Tencel yarn. But to compensate and make the neck area fit better, I knitted the back 4cm longer than the front so that the shoulder seam and neck opening rolls more to the front, as you can see in the flat photo. I have a low front neck and there is no neck shaping at all - the pieces are simple rectangles. So anything that lowers the front neck opening is a good thing. I think it works pretty well.

The top isn't quite as see-through as these photos make it look. I think the camera was catching a bit of shine on my bra.

More details on Ravelry.

3 comments:

  1. Nice top! The extra length really does nice things to the neckline. I've noticed over the years that the camera will show undergarments through knits that are NOT visible at all in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! The colour is lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really pretty color on you. I don't recall you sewing anything in this color, but I probably just don't remember! I am so tempted to look into machine knitting, but honestly, I have enough trouble sewing enough to clothe myself!

    ReplyDelete