Sunday, April 6, 2014

Baby hems done - voilà a completed silk blouse

After posting yesterday, I gave myself a talking-to and just finished those baby hems.  It didn't take very long.  Of course.

I posted a review on Pattern Review, where you can read all about the things I did differently and what worked and what didn't.  But here's the bottom line:

Spray starch.  It works.


It tamed the shifty static-prone and flimsy silk like nobody's business.  It made making this top (complete with French seams, continuous lap placket, bias collar and baby hems) a piece of cake.


I managed to find perfect buttons in stash. They are a bit like gold nuggets. Closed with teensy bias loops, which would actually have been impossible to sew without my friend spray starch.

And the entire ensemble.  Don't ask me why my camera refused to focus for this one.

And the weather may finally be warming up.  For once, The Sewing Lawyer's latest project is going to be seasonally appropriate!


17 comments:

  1. I love this! I miss wearing suits.

    Nice work on the whole ensemble. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip on the spray starch -- in the 80's I was spray starching nut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spray starch as in Fabulon? The stuff you use to spray on shirts as you iron? And it doesn't hurt the silk? Well it worked beautifully on your blouse. Wonderful suit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blouse and it looks lovely with the suit. I miss wearing and sewing suits too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great suit! I toomiss wearing suits. Something else that works on slippery fabrics is water soluble stabilizers. You disolve it in water and spray it on your fabric as you would spray starch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your link correct? I get a very strange popup asking to verify my credentials to access patternreview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a smart ensemble! Very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for spray starch! I just finished a lined rayon dress - very slippy fabrics, but the spray starch made it manageable and the dress turned out better than anything I've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the spray starch tip!!! Beautiful suit and blouse. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is soooo how I would want my lawyer to look—sleek, fitted, smart, stylish, and oh, so, ready to fight my corner! Fantastic project and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very sharp-looking suit, but the beautiful blouse really finishes it with style. It adds the kick of understated sophistication.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blouse looks absolutely right with your beautifully tailored suit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful suit and blouse. I miss having opportunities to wear my suits now that I am retired. I really like your blog. It is very informative and wonder if you would please consider adding some way for us to follow you such as the email subscription gadget or through Bloglovin? That way, new posts would come right into our inboxes and we would never miss any posts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete