Friday, July 1, 2011

<<< A short time later ... >>>


Starting again, The Sewing Lawyer cut a length of ribbon which is the full length of the upper sleeve seam of the lining, and another to match the lining's under sleeve seam.  On the ribbon, she marked the points from the lining pattern where the jacket sleeve would attach.  Then, she marked the points along the upper sleeve seam of the jacket where it will attach to the ribbon.  


That's better!  I still think the sleeve hem is too loose, but the folds seem to be falling properly now.

Here's what it looks like on the inside (just pinned) for your information.  I will hand-tack the ribbon starting at the neck along the shoulder until the two layers need to separate for the top fold, then at each of the four attachment points, and finally at the hem.  Under the arm, I'll attach at the under-arm seam, the four attachment points, and the hem.  

Onward!

11 comments:

  1. It looks good! I think this kind of thing is extremely individual since each fabric will react differently, and fold differently, to say nothing of each person's idea of the perfect look. I made a skirt with a similar ribbon (selvedge) that holds up a drape. I found it more difficult than I'd expected to get the same look I could get easily by holding it with my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! I like the topstitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous so far.
    Great save, great color

    What recommendations do you have for fabric for this jacket as a result of your journey so far?

    Thank you Sewing Lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sleeve is tremendously elegant. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been admiring this jacket since the pattern came out. Didn't realize that the sleeve would be such a "behaviour problem". Of course, you'll be able to tweak it to perfection. Looking good so far, and, of course, can't wait to see the whole jacket done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your interpretation! This is coming out beautifully, and as usual, you're execution is stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Love that sleeve detail and how you've rescued it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been dreaming of making that jacket since the pattern came out as well. Your sleeve is beautiful. I do not have slim arms, but I often found, when I was sewing, that Vogues sleeves were often too loose although the rest of their fit was good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The result is excellent. The look will be wonderful. I hope your have a good cleaner who takes time to press without crushing your garments. As for the Akris picture. They might have pinched the sleeves in the back for the picture. In reality it may be normal width. They sell Akris at Holt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did good - the pleats are attached to a ribbon in the Balanciaga original too. Lining wouldn't be able to support them properly. I think the cuff width's OK, but it's your jacket :-). And it'll be a great one..

    ReplyDelete