I used the Itch to Stitch Brasov top pattern for the jersey. Based on my test sew, I shortened it by about 8cm (3") and eliminated the lowest of the side seam pleats. I'm much happier with the length of this top now.
The wool isn't quite as drapey as the rayon I used for my test sew. I had to take that version in quite a bit. The shortening is the only change I made for this version.
Now, about that lace skirt.
I came across this project on the Burdastyle site - perfection! I realized I had this issue of the magazine (Feb, 2009, a good issue). I traced it and made a muslin. I decided to peg it in very slightly as I find this is more flattering in a pencil skirt.
Then I downloaded the Threads Magazine article on making a couture guipure lace skirt (Susan Khalje, October-November, 2014).
I want this thing to be wearable in my real life so the charmeuse under-layer was out - shiny and high contrast were not in the cards. The stash contained navy wool crepe and navy silk organza that looked pretty good with my dark navy lace.
|Front- thread traced darts|
|Skirt with lace laid overtop - hem is sewn and side seams|
joined to the point where they start curving
|The Sewing Lawyer at work|
(yes that is a head lamp)
|Lace manipulation in progress|
At left is the CB zipper with cut lace. Some of the motifs overlap the zipper and I'll sew tiny snaps on those bits to hold them down.
I'm almost finished with the lace. Then just lining and the waist finish remain.