Monday, January 1, 2018

A quick and useful project for winter

January 1 ski in -23C cccold.
I like to cross country ski and it has been extremely frigid here. A friend and I went out two days ago and I decided to cobble together a neck warmer of thin knit fabric, emulating these items that sell for outrageous amounts. But people swear by them. I hacked a rectangle out of a bit of leftover rayon knit. I don't know the dimensions of the original but my version is 30cm (12") in length and folded flat measures 25cm (10") wide. I pull it halfway up the back of my head under my hat, and the front covers my chin and keeps the wind out of my ears.

It took me 10 minutes to make it.





I added the odd strap after wearing it twice and freezing my nose (literally). I cannot get enough air through the fabric and when I breathe out my glasses and my visor fog up alarmingly.





The strap means my frozen nose is covered but I can breathe adequate quantities of unfiltered air.



6 comments:

  1. This is brilliant - especially the nose protector. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Brilliant. No frozen lungs pleeeeeze. Is Rayon warm enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprisingly yes it is pretty good. The commercially made items are also very thin knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brrr, I love cross country ski, but not getting out there at -23. I do not feel so desperate, we have long winters. I wait until it's warmer than -15
    Enjoy it, safely
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea of the nose protector!

    ReplyDelete