Tuesday, July 12, 2016

More wandering down memory lane

June, 1983
It has been a while since the last edition of "patterns from my past", hasn't it? (Even though my last project was effectively a dip into my sewing past.)

Anyway, recently it was my 33rd wedding anniversary. Naturally, I made my dress. No it was not white and poufy.














I just tried it on again.

The fit is forgiving.

This is Vogue 2473, a Vogue American Designer pattern by Albert Nipon.

Even by my current standards, I did a good job on this dress. It's made from lightweight silk with a little woven texture. I interfaced with self fabric, and made French seams. And all those pleats! They are pretty even. They are stitched down from the shoulder to hip level and then swing free. The dress buttons up the back.

There are vertical seams about where you would expect some princess shaping but the seam is completely straight. I am guessing this was so you could use really narrow fabric - there is a 35"/90cm layout. Today I would skip that seam if I didn't absolutely have to sew it but then, I did exactly what the pattern said.

There is a little elastic in casing at the waist, which still stretches, and the (foam) shoulder pads are as spongy as the day I put them in. Foam has gone downhill since the 80s (I'm guessing there are environmental reasons).

If I was making this today, I'd lower the front neck (tiniest V neck ever) and use about twice as many buttons in back, just for the statement. And I'd change the sleeves somehow, although the proportions are about right given the length of the dress.

But I won't. This is a special period piece in The Sewing Lawyer's history.


20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Anniversary. 33 years is a great achievement. Thank you for modelling the dress for us. I am going to hazard a guess that your husband would not be able to fit into his wedding suit today? I tried own my own wedding dress the other day (14 years after I wore it the first time). It doesn't fit me anymore but I don't feel too bad as it is only a tiny bit big on my 13 year old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It still looks great and fits! Congratulations on 33 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! And the dress is gorgeous! I made a few Albert Nipon dresses way back, though never this particular one. How lovely that you still have this piece of your wardrobe history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so lovely! Congratulations!! I love the vintage and feminine look! I'd wear it every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Seeing your vintage dress shows that you were a fantastic sewist 33 years ago and have added even more expertise since then. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That means your silhouette didn't change over these 33 years! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful couple, such an expression of joy. Lovely that you still have the dress and that it still fits.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! Beautiful workmanship on your dress 33 years ago, it shows what quality work you did in the past that has become the foundation for the work you do today. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is fantastic, I love the color on you and I am impressed that it still fits so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. The dark version on the envelope reminds me of Laura Ashley dresses from that period.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is seriously beautiful. I'm so impressed with your skill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And you look so happy! Great dress story, totally enjoyed it!
    Joyce from Sudbury

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! What a nice dress, and it still fits :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the same dress in 1982 in a navy/white pin dot...and had the same hair!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! A very nice milestone. I loved your dress story, and lovely that it still fits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am impressed that your dress still fits😊 I wish I could say the same for me. Congratulations on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you haven't stopped blogging! Busy busy? Everything alright? Looking forward to your next post
    Joyce from Sudbury. Seamsalright

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Kayy. I'm new to your blog and I like it!
    Can you believe I just bought this dress pattern today and it is as new. I am excited to make this up as I usually avoid any kind of pleat or pin tuck like the plague! I wonder if I'll look really 80's or whether I can give a 2016 spin to it? You look great in your version and an excellent choice of colour. Come to think of it, getting in and out of that frock must be a pain with all the buttons on the back?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sewing this pattern and dress took me down memory lane also. I made that same dress around 30+ years ago. My was red with blue plaid in a sheer fabric and covered buttons. I wore that dress for years and then gave it to a friend who wore it for years. Still love that pattern. I passed it on to the generation sewer.

    ReplyDelete