Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Amazing turnaround

My shoulder width fix (removing about 1.5cm or 5/8" of width from the front armscye and slightly less in back, tapering to nothing at the bottom of the armhole) worked brilliantly. So much so that I was able to convince myself to spend an entire day of my long weekend in my sewing room and to push through to the finish.

And as these things often turn out, after so many days of serious doubt and funk, I love my new coat!

So here it is.

Look! It fits me in the shoulders!

The pattern didn't suggest a belt with this view, but I thought its plainness would be improved by one. I briefly considered making the buckled straps for the sleeves but managed to come to my senses quite quickly.





As you can see, there is a single button in view at the neck. There are four more concealed behind a fly front opening.


I used some gaily printed cotton shirting or quilting cotton from stash for lining, in keeping with my goal of not buying any more fabric. The sleeves are lined with Bemberg so that the coat will ease over whatever I'm wearing underneath it.

All's well that ends well! I'm going to use the rest of the cotton to make the top from Vogue 7440.



17 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a GREAT looking coat. Another fantastic garment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great coat! I love to Aqua colour and the bright lining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It fits you. It fits you. It fits you. Great coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the coat looked nice and spring-appropriate. But then I clicked to enlarge the detail pix. Wow! You are a topstitching master!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased it turned out well for you in the end! The coat is absolutely stunning, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow love the colour and what a perfect fit! Beautiful jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so beautiful! Fit, style, construction, all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came out really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! I hope you get to wear it for Spring, It's so cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! Very nice and the lining is a good co ordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful coat!!! I love the contrast with the print!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job! Fitting can be such a pain, but it sure makes a difference in both the look and feel. Enjoy wearing this cheery new coat!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super. The lenght is perfect for that colour. You have a fun and colourful raincoat for sad rainy days or grey fall days. Using the lining fabric for the fly adds a lot of charm to your garment. I really like it !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I agree the belt adds more interest - good idea!

    ReplyDelete