Saturday, July 26, 2014

This is magic

Purple Haze Cardigan
I have a new knitting project.  It's going to be a V-necked cardigan someday.

What's so magical?  Its perfect top-down seamlessness.  Moreover, look at the shoulder!  (Mine is a little wonkier than this one, but one can dream.) The pattern is Slanted Sleeven by Ankestrick on Ravelry. It's a contiguous pattern - contiguous knitting is a technique where you knit the back, front and shoulder/sleeve cap seamlessly and top-down. Some contiguous patterns aim at a sleeve that mimics a set-in style but this one looks more like a classic seamed knitted shoulder.  I think it's brilliant.

I'm making my cardigan with ColourMart yarns - 100% alpaca held together with a cashmere/cotton lace weight to get a deeper, richer colour (which is impossible to photograph accurately) and the right gauge.  Once the yarn is washed after knitting, it fluffs up and the knitting evens out beautifully.


6 comments:

  1. The pattern looks interesting. I look forward to your finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! I've gotten so I only knit seamless patterns, really spoiled! but I love doing them. I just put this in my Ravelry library, so glad you blogged yours! Looking forward to the finished sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful work, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is some beautiful shoulder shaping. And I like your yarn selection, too. I discovered that Shuttles, Spindles and Skeins in Boulder (across the street from my apt. complex) sells cone yarns for $8-10/pound. They've lured me away from Colourmart for now. I'll post a pix of my project tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very nice. I like the sleeve/shoulder style. You may need some shoulder stabilization, but maybe not. I love this type of knitting but it's easy to forget how much the seams, especially shoulder seams do to stabilize a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I just love the shoulder/sleeve style of this sweater. This pattern is beyond my skill level, but I might add it to my Ravelry collection. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete