- I need to do more sewing.
- I do not want to buy more fabric. I have so much it's embarrassing. I will sew the fabric I already own. I really like it as fabric, but I think I'd like it even more as clothing.
- I am going to make a work jacket. Or two. And nice dresses or separates to coordinate with them.
- One of those jackets is going to be in leather.
- I want to integrate knitted pieces into my work and home wardrobes. I foresee one or two knitted tops.
How did I do?
More sewing: Fail.
It would be too depressing to actually count the number of completed garments. So I won't.
Part of the explanation is that I shed approximately 10 pounds and a few inches in 2012. This led to (a) lots of altering things I had made in the past (sewing to preserve rather than create wardrobe items) and (b) having to learn how to fit the new me. I'll spare you any more complaints.
On the plus side, I really like the pieces I finished in 2012. Big faves are my tweedy bouclé jacket, my turquoise dress, and my black ponte knit pants. Oh, and my black wool dress with the zipper up the back. Some of these styles were much easier for the smaller-hipped me to wear.
I am also very happy with my swimsuit and my goretex pants, although these are hardly fashion statements.
Less fabric: Success.
I tried very hard to stay away from fabric stores in 2012. I don't keep track of metres in or out but based on my possibly inaccurate recollection, I stayed pretty much on the wagon last year.
Coordinates and including knitted items: Success.
The jacket I made in March looks great with both the dresses, and the two pairs of black pants I made in 2012. I can also wear it with three of the four knitted tops I made during the year. My favourite is the one at right, with the leaf yoke top coming in a close second.
Speaking of which, only one of my knitted tops (this one) is a style/colour orphan. The rest of them have slotted into my wardrobe and get worn regularly, as does the cardigan I completed in January.
One big surprise for me in 2012 was that I started knitting socks. Who would have thought? I finished some yesterday and could not seem to help myself from starting another pair immediately.
Leather jacket: Fail
Need I say more? Maybe in 2013...
And on that note, what should the rest of my goals be for the year?
- Write here more often. I'm aiming at 5 posts per month.
- Sew more. Including more basics (jeans) and getting a well-fitting bra or two made.
- Keep up with the coordinates. I have a dress/jacket combination or two in mind, and the fabric for them, which makes me add...
- Sew the good stuff from my stash, instead of "saving" it. Unless I have something specific to "save" it for, that is.
Wish me luck!