Saturday, August 20, 2011

Snagged! Butterick 5992

This is one of the most elusive of the 1970s patterns The Sewing Lawyer has been trying to recover.  Woo Hoo!


I think I made it when I was in grade 12, from a light weight cotton which I remember having a very nice hand.  I have a mental image of the print but trying to pin the image down enough to write about it is difficult.  It had a smallish scale, I remember that, and the motifs were sort of irregularly round and irregularly concentric.  The colours were quite bright; a clear blue, red and white, in that order of prominence.  It sounds dreadful.  It probably was.

After all the lying in wait for this one, strangely I'm content to have its digital image preserved and to know the pattern number.  Even though I could buy it for only $3.  In a size that has never been my size.

I could have sworn this dress was made from a McCalls pattern.  But it was Butterick, my favorite brand of the day.

A few of my past favorites are still lost.  But I'm on their trail.

7 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool, Sharon. I sometimes see patterns from my youth (my mother sewed my clothes and I started sewing young). It always makes me smile, especially because my mother died years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I rather like the pattern. The yoke and the soft gathers are nice, and I could easily see it done up in a modern print or solid! Even in your youth, you had good taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously love vintage patterns....they are my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you post a list of your "lost" patterns maybe folks could help...I have quite a few. ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I know just how you feel! I've actually acquired a few of the vintage 70s patterns I sewed myself. They do bring back wonderful memories don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to find one of my favorite patterns from my early teen years (so mid-late 80s), a dress with a round sailor-type collar, a straight front and back, and pleated side skirt insets. I should go on the hunt for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently picked up two of my favourites that I had sewn when I was in my early twenties and dating my boyfriend, now husband. I got those, but not my current size! It gives me pleasure to have them, just as it does my very first book that I loved as a youngster. (Good Morning Farm) I'm thinking of making a shadow box with some of my favourite things. Happy hunting, ladies.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete